Do you want to know the key to success for athletes of all abilities? It’s actually very simple: structured training. Unfortunately athletes and coaches often neglect this important aspect. Coach Derick Marcisz reminds us all what the basics of structured training look like.
1. Consistency – Get out at least 3 to 4 times each and every week/month.
2. Quality is better that Quantity – Especially this time of the year – don’t neglect quality sessions to keep the log book/Strava happy.
3. Planning – Do the right sessions at the right time. It’s no use starting hill training two weeks before a big race or doing speed work too early.
4. Rest And Recovery – This is part of any training program, this allows your body to adapt and get stronger and fitter.
5. Purpose – Each session (even an easy recovery run) must have a specific purpose.
6. Structured Training Is for everybody – Young and old, fast and slow, all events from walking to parkruns to triathlons and any running race up to the Comrades Marathon.
7. Keep Training Interesting – Try different sessions, routes and races.
The author Derick Marcisz has been coaching for more than 20 years and has been an athlete for 47 years. He has excelled as a runner, cyclist and triathlete and has a marathon PB of 02:17.17.