Jeppe Half-Marathon Helpers Route 2
The Route Story
Jeppe traditional holds a very popular marathon every year, which is a qualifier for the Comrades Marathon and has also recently been a host of the CGA Marathon champs. CGA Marathon champs are mandatory for athletes who want to be considered for selection to the CGA team for SA marathon champs.
The marathon is a two-lapper around Bedfordview and Edenvale, starting off with a tough first 10km featuring several inclines before the halfway mark, but it’s the downhill past Gillooly’s Farm in the last stretch that everyone looks forward to for some relief. Just don’t get carried away, because the last kilometre provides a nasty little uphill pull!
Race day gives athletes a little bit of everything: A tough 42km or 21km (one lap of the marathon), as well as popular 8km and 4km fun runs around Senderwood.
A tradition over the years that has popped up is for all the helpers that will be looking after the runners on race day to run the second lap of the route, just to get a feel of what the runners on the day will be experiencing! We’ve decided to add this Legendary route to the challenge for obvious reasons, and make it a club day, with a get together at the club when everyone returns.
- We will start from Jeppe Quondam (not Saheti), take a left at the gate into Boeing Rd East.
- Proceed all the way up to Edenvale Rd. Following the road left around the bend, continue all the way to Horwood St. by Holy Rosary School
- Take a left all the way down to 1st Avenue.
- Take a right into 1st Avenue and follow the cheeky climb all the way up to Hendrik Potgieter St. where you take a right, followed by another right into 2nd Avenue.
- Take the second left into 3rd Street, followed by a left into 3rd Avenue, back towards Hendrik Potgieter St.
- Take a right into Hendrik Potgieter St. and the second right into 5th Avenue.
- Carry on up 5th Avenue and take a left into 3rd Street all the way to 8th Avenue where you turn right.
- Take a left into 2nd Street followed by a right into Van Riebeeck Ave.
- A gentle trot along Van Riebeeck Ave. sees it become Edenvale Rd., carry on going! Under the highway continue as the road bends to the right and becomes North Reef Rd.
- Keep on going until the traffic lights where the road becomes Van Buuren Rd. Continue along passed the VA Gym until you can turn right into Florence Ave.
- A welcomed breather down Florence Ave. to Concorde Rd. East where you turn left, followed by the next left up Harcus Rd. passing St Benedicts.
- Turn right into Van Buuren Rd. continue until the BP garage where you turn right into Kings Rd.
- Follow Kings Rd. over the traffic lights at Hudsons into Skeen Boulevard, which you follow all the way to Nicol Rd.
- Turning right into Nicol Rd. over the highway and down the dip, up to Van Der Linde Rd. where you turn right again.
- Continue with VD Linde Rd crossing the bridge over the highway and taking a right into Boeing Rd. West.
- Welcome the rest a nice long downhill brings as you pass Gillooly’s Farm, then turn right under the highway bridge for your final climb.
- A short, sharp climb up Heartbreak hill will take you back to the Jeppe Quondam Club for some welcomed refreshments.